Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Le Charme by Chausson

Word-to-Word translations
Quand ton sourire me surprit,
when  your smile  me surprise
Je sentis frémir tout mon être,
I   felt  shudder all my being
Mais ce qui domptait mon esprit,
but  what   tamed    my  mind
Je ne pus d'abord le connaître.
I  dont    at first   recognize
Quand ton regard tomba sur moi,
when  your look   fell on me
Je sentis mon âme se fondre,
I   felt   my soul   melt

Mais ce que serait cet émoi,
but   what  would  the  emotion
Je ne pus d'abord en répondre.
I  not    at first   answer
Ce qui me vainquit à jamais, 
the    me vanished   forever
Ce fut un plus douloureux charme;
it was a   more  sad       charme
Et je n'ai su que je t'aimais,
and i  not    that  I love you
Qu'en voyant ta première larme.
what  seeing your first   tears


(English translation by Thomas A. Gregg)
 When your smile surprised me,
 I felt a shudder through my entire being,
 But what tamed my spirit,
 At first I did not recognize.
 
 When your glance fell on me,
 I felt my soul melt,
 But what that emotion was,
 At first I could not answer it.
 
 What conquered me forever,
 That was a charm more sad,
 And I did not know that I loved you,
 Until I saw your first tear.

No comments: