Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Bonjour Suzon! (Goodmorning, Sussie!)

Composer:Léo Delibes (1836-1891)

Poet:  Louis Charles Alfred de Musset (1810-1857) ,
 "Chanson: Bonjour Suzon", from Poésies posthumes

Date of composition:1861-1863

Recommended Recording by Victoria de Los Angeles

 

A playful song with simple poem, "Bonjour Suzon!" portrays the simple love
of a lover coming back  to see his beloved Sussie. A great trip he had where
he writes, loves and enjoys the tour to Italy, but what matter most is the
reunion of him and Sussie after all.

Modulations occurs in the songs to depict the changes of
emotions, making it a contrast upon the simple melody. It shows
the transformation of narrator's emotions while he was singing and awaiting
to see his love, pleading, asking, wondering, questioning etc.

As Sussie replied " I wish not yet"
whether or not they meet each other at the end,
is not been told. The music still ended
as cheerful as the beginning, neither upset, nor satisfaction of relieve. 
 



Bonjour     Suzon, ma fleur des bois!
Goodmorning Sussie my flower the wood
 
Es-tu toujours la plus  jolie?  
are you always the more pretty 
 
Je reviens, tel que  tu me vois,  
I  back    such that you me look 
 
D'un grand voyage en Italie,  
a     big trip    from itlay
 
Du paradis j'ai fait le tour; 
of paradise i   been the tour  
 
J'ai fait des vers, j'ai fait l'amour. 
i    been  the to   i    been  love

Mais que t'importe? 
but  the important
  
Je passe devant ta  maison; 
i  pass  before your house
  
Ouvre ta  porte. 
open  your door
 
Bonjour, Suzon! 
goodmorning   Sussie 
 
Je t'ai vue au temps des lilas. 
I  've  view of time the lilac
 
Ton coeur joyeux venait d'éclore. 
your hear joy    had    hatching
 
Et tu disais: "je ne veux pas, 
and you said   i  not want not
 
Je ne veux pas qu'on m'aime encore." 
i  not want not that love   yet 
  
Qu'as-tu fait depuis mon départ? 
that you  been  since  my departure
 
Qui part  trop tôt   tard revient trop tard. 
thatleave too early late back    too late. 

Mais que m'importe? 
but the important
 
Je passe devant ta maison; 
i   pass before  your house
 
Ouvre ta porte. 
open your door
 
Bonjour, Suzon! 
goodmorning sussie 
 
 
(Translated by Hyperion Records)
 Good morning, Susie, my flower of the woods!
 Are you still the prettiest?
 I return to see you
 from a great journey to Italy,
 Through paradise I have made a tour;
 I have made some verses and made love too.
 What's it to you?
 I pass before your house,
 open your door!
 Good morning, Susie!
 
 When I saw you in the time of lilacs,
 your heart was full of new found joy
 and you said, "I do not wish,
 I do not wish to be loved yet."
 What have you done since I left?
 He who leaves too soon, comes back too late;
 but what's it to me?
 I pass before your house;
 open your door!
 Good morning, Susie! 
 
 

Lilac-
a bush or small tree with sweet-smelling purple or white flowers